COVID-19 Supports and resources for Entrepreneurs
NEW! Women’s Enterprise Centre – Regional Relief and Recovery Fund
The Government of Canada, through Western Economic Diversification Canada, is providing loans of up to $40,000 for eligible women-run businesses to help businesses cope with financial hardship and recovery from economic disruption resulting from COVID-19.
Women’s Enterprise Centre is pleased to provide access to this Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF) to women entrepreneurs in BC. If you think your business requires additional financing to recover this could be a good option for you.
This option is available for sole proprietorships, partnerships and corporations. More information here.
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA updates:
NEW! Federal Government revises the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and announces three new support programs
The federal government announced a $37-billion income-support plan for workers whose earnings have declined during the pandemic. The details released outline supports for some four million workers receiving the $500-a-week Canada Emergency Response Benefit, which is set to wind down starting next month.
The CERB will be extended another four weeks, and a new benefit that pays $400 a week for up to 26 weeks will replace it for those ineligible for employment insurance, such as contract, self-employed and “gig” economy workers.
Anyone eligible for EI will get the same minimum for at least 26 weeks and will need to have worked 120 hours to qualify, below current EI requirements. The government also signaled changes were coming to allow individuals to earn more while receiving benefits.
There will also be $500-a-week sickness benefit and caregiving benefit for anyone who has to stay home because they’re ill, or because school or daycare is closed.
Also announced was that the EI premium rate for employers, which is 1.4 times the employee rate, would be frozen for two years at $2.21 per $100 of insurable earnings. Learn More
The state of emergency is extended through the end of the day on Sept. 20th to allow government to continue to take the necessary actions to keep British Columbians safe and manage immediate concerns, such as recent outbreaks in some areas of the province. Learn more.
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Extended to December 2020 – Information here
on the new updates to the CEWS. Updated July 17, 2020.
Payment Deadline Extension for income tax returns –
Canada Revenue Agency is extending the payment due date for current year individual, corporate, and trust income tax returns, including instalment payments, from September 1st, to September 30th, 2020. Penalties and interest will not be charged if payments are made by the extended deadline.
PROVINCE OF BC updates:
NEW! Province Introduces New Measures to Enforce COVID-19 Public Safety
Police and other provincial enforcement officers are being given the ability to issue $2,000 violation tickets for owners or organizers contravening the provincial health officer’s (PHO) order on gatherings and events.
They will also be able to issue $200 violation tickets to individuals not following the direction of police or enforcement staff at events or who refuse to comply with requests to follow PHO orders or safe operating procedures, or respond with abusive behavior. Learn more.
NEW! COVID-19 Temporary Layoffs – Navigating layoffs is always hard, especially in these uncertain times. Recent changes to temporary layoffs means employees and employers have more options for support. Learn more
- Find PPE for your business to safely reopen – Small Business BC has created a Non-Medical PPE Marketplace to connect businesses with suppliers of non-medical safety equipment.
- WorkSafe BC – COVID-19 information and resources updated for safe operations for Phase 3.
- BC Economic Development Association – COVID19 Resources for BC Businesses – updated August 5, 2020.
- BDC – COVID-19 – Resources and support for BC businesses. Webinars for businesses resources recovery.
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) -Shuswap-Revelstoke – for resources to assist you please click here
- Community Futures BC – COVID-19 Business Resources.
- Destination BC – COVID-19 Resources for the Tourism Industry – updated August 24, 2020.
- Farm Credit Canada – COVID-19 Resources for the agriculture industry.
- GO2HR – Restarting business operations after COVID-19 industry sector best practices guides here.
- Greater Vancouver Board of Trade – COVID19 resources and Business Reinvention Series Webinars – more information here.
- Salmon Arm Economic Development Society – Business Restart Toolkit – Resources for businesses to reopen and more.
- Small Business BC – Back to Business Resources from Small Business BC.
- Shuswap Economic Recovery – Providing resources and support for all Shuswap businesses. Learn more.
- Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association – Tourism Resiliency Program – Resources for Tourism businesses in the Thompson Okanagan Tourism region.
- Tourism Industry Association of BC – C-19 Bulletin – August 24, 2020
- Women’s Enterprise Centre – Assisting women entrepreneurs through recovery – Resources and Support..